7/10/07
We toured the Musical Museum in Brussels and saw many beautiful, intricately carved and painted keyboard instruments, harps and numerous other stringed instruments. Bought the book since no photos were allowed. Only problem, the book's in Flemish... Oh well, I've always been one to look at the pictures first anyway. We spotted a group of young children (not the screaming variety) with their teacher. I noticed a youngster was wearing an Oklahoma Sooner T-Shirt. I nearly dropped my Belgian Chocolate... How could this be? I approached the teacher and in my pathetic Oklahoman French proceeded to tell her that I was American and from Oklahoma. She gasped and shouted "Mais No" and burst into apoplectic laughter.
We enjoyed a magnificent lunch in the museum's rooftop restaurant. I had a superb steak tartare dressed with balsamic and parmesan and Charlie had a luscious tortellini.
Totally sated, we decided to hoof it back to the hotel. We strolled through ancient shopping arcades featuring beautiful displays of charcuterie, chocolates, seafood, cheeses and wines. However, street signs are miniscule and written in French and Flemish. They are very difficult to find on the map and even harder to spot on the street corners. After three hours of aimless wandering, we spotted a cab and headed back to the hotel.
We had dinner at the hotel dining room which uncharacteristically, was tres magnifique. I had a lobster salad with lentils and tomatoes. Charlie had Filet Mignon with glazed carrots garnished with sweet basil and baked leeks with balsamic. Charlie also had chocolate volcano cake with vanilla ice cream.
The only thing that was disturbing about this wonderful dining experience was the background music. Here we were in this elegant "Uber-Euro-Businessman's Dining Room" filled with Brits and Asian hotshot business people listening to American Oldies 50's & 60's music. Bizarre to say the least.
We chose to dine in the hotel out of convenience as we had a 2 am wake-up call to catch a 5 a.m. flight on cheapxxx Ryan Air to Carcassonne, France. More on that debacle later.
A Bientot
Teresa
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I found my way here!!!! Disregard my e-mail as I now have you bookmarked. We have added three nights in Paris to our Amalfi Coast journey this fall however have decided to avoid Ryan Air!
Post a Comment